If you need an affordable and convenient way to get around Las Vegas, calling for an Uber is an excellent option. However, this service does have one major drawback: You have little to no control over the actions and decisions made by your driver.
Should your Uber driver fail to stop at a red light or forget to check their mirrors before changing lanes, you could get into a serious accident. As a result, you may end up suffering a life-changing injury.
How Do Las Vegas Uber Accidents Happen?
Uber accidents tend to be caused by many of the same reasons as any other car or truck crash. A brief list of some of the most common causes of ridesharing accidents would include:
Of course, it is also possible for an Uber accident to be caused by more than one of these reasons. If for instance, an Uber driver is texting on their phone while speeding through traffic, an accident is almost inevitable.
How to Reduce Your Chances of Getting into an Uber Accident
It can be terrifying to think about the serious injuries that can occur if you get into an Uber accident. Fortunately, it is possible to massively reduce your odds of getting into a crash by following a few simple steps, such as:
- Asking the driver not to use the Uber app while driving
- Letting the driver know that you are not in a rush and that they can drive slowly
- Refraining from distracting the driver by talking excessively or playing loud music
By following this advice, you will make it much easier for your driver to focus on the road ahead and take you safely to your destination.
What To Do if You Are Injured in an Uber Accident
No matter how many measures you take to reduce your chances of getting into an accident, you can never eliminate the risk entirely. So, what should you do if you are injured in an Uber crash? In most cases, your best bet is to follow these straightforward steps:
- Seek Medical Attention: If you need an ambulance, call for one. If you can’t call, ask a bystander to do so on your behalf.
- Contact Law Enforcement: Phone the police and let them know that an accident has occurred. If possible, remain on the scene and provide a detailed statement.
- Take Pictures of the Scene: Grab your phone or camera and take plenty of pictures of the scene of the accident. The more pictures you can take, the better.
- Obtain the Driver’s Information: Get the driver’s name, insurance information, and Uber number. You should also ask them if they were in “driver mode” when the accident happened.
- Contact an Attorney: Speak to an experienced lawyer who can help you claim compensation for your injuries. If they give you any additional advice, follow it.
Following these steps can go a long way toward ensuring that your health and financial interests are well-protected in the aftermath of your Uber accident.
What Insurance Coverage Does Uber Provide?
Uber drivers are required to have their own personal auto insurance policy. However, when logged in and carrying a passenger, their personal coverage is not valid and the ridesharing company provides them with substantial policies offering at least $1.0 million of coverage. This limit includes coverage for bodily injury, property damage, and death.
Injured in a Las Vegas Uber Accident? Cap and Kudler Can Help
The personal injury lawyers here at Cap and Kudler in Las Vegas have worked on countless Uber accident cases over the years. During that time, we have achieved some very favorable results on behalf of our clients. If you would like to have us represent you in your fight for compensation, please contact us or call (866) 412-7166 to set up a free consultation.